The following links are of interest in so far as they are relevant to the major areas of PFLAG’s mission statement. The organizations they represent, however, may or may not be formally allied with PFLAG Norman or our parent organization.
- PFLAG National – Parents, Family, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) is the national parent organization of PFLAG Norman. One of its’ primary mission focuses is support. This is accomplished through a network of chapters that meet regularly to provide a non-threatening environment in which to discuss issues and receive support from others.
- The Welcoming Project – The Welcoming Project began in 2011 and was created to encourage local businesses, organizations, and churches in Norman, OK, to display welcoming signs for the purpose of making LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer) individuals and allies feel welcomed as patrons. The Welcoming Project is available to communities throughout the United States.
- Bridges Norman– Bridges: Empowering students who live alone to succeed.
- YOTSO – Support and social group consisting of youths, ages 13-17, who are or may be gay, lesbian, or bisexual, or who have friends who are one of these. The group’s aim is to provide an emotionally safe and open forum for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered or questioning youth, their friends and supporters.
- Heartstrong – HeartStrong, Inc. exists to provide truthful information and support to gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered and allied persons who have attended, are attending, employed by, or associated with religious educational institutions through support, education, and advocacy.
- Outproud a website of the National Coalition for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Youth. It is basically on on-line library for GLBT youth and their parents. There are many references for brochures, archives and other websites.
- Transproud – Transproud is also for youth and their parents but specifically on transgendered issues. In addition to information there are links to on-line communities and organizations.
- Colage– Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere. COLAGE is the only national and international organization in the world specifically supporting young people with gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender parents.
- Family Acceptance – What do you do if your child is gay? One family’s story of accepting the news of their son’s sexual orientation. Contains responses, from a parent’s perspective, to familiar questions any parents asks themselves when confronted with this news.
- GLNH – The Gay & Lesbian National Hotline is a nationwide resource providing information, referral and a peer-counseling line for GLBTQ people. It has over 18,000 listings of resources in cities and towns across the United States, including youth groups, support and social organizations, gay-friendly religious groups, sports groups, doctors, lawyers and counselors. The toll-free telephone number is 1-888-THE GLNH.
- Transequality – The National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) is a 501(c)3 social justice organization dedicated to advancing the equality of transgender people through advocacy, collaboration and empowerment.
- Transifesto – A blog and website offering information and opinion about transgender and transsexual issues and experience from someone who’s been there. Tranifesto is meant to engage, educate, and at times, entertain.
- PFLAG National – Parents, Family, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) is the national parent organization of PFLAG Norman. One of its’ primary mission focuses is advocating.
- Lambda Legal – Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, the transgendered, and people with HIV or AIDS through impact litigation, education, and public policy work.
- NGLTF – The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) is a recognized expert in the field of GLBT-related state legislation and employs a comprehensive program of state legislative tracking, monitoring and reporting.
- Soulforce – An organization devoted to changing the hearts and minds of religious leaders who engage in anti-homosexual campaigns.
- HRC – The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) effectively lobbies Congress; mobilizes grassroots action in diverse communities; invests strategically to elect a fair-minded Congress.
- Lambda– …to create social change and achieve full civil rights, dignity, and self-respect for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered individuals through education, youth advocacy, anti-violence efforts, and fighting discrimination of all forms, to achieve full participation in society of persons belonging to a sexual minority.
- National Youth Advocacy Coalition– National Youth Advocacy Coalition, launched in 1991 by the Hetrick-Martin Institute to focus on the social justice issues critical to quality of life for GLBT youth. Their goal is to strategize for and effect change.
- GLAAD – Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) is dedicated to promoting and ensuring fair, accurate and inclusive representation of people and events in the media as a means of eliminating homophobia and discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation. For example, they are frequently quoted in the news regarding the portrayal of a gay person in a TV show or objecting to talk show host’s comments on gay issues.
- Scouting For All – Committed to Scouting, Open to Diversity. Scouting For All includes all youth and adult leaders regardless of their spiritual beliefs, gender, or sexual orientation.