PFLAG advocates for LGBTQ equality through civil rights legislation and legal protections. In addition to advocacy, PFLAG supports local students through means of an annual scholarship. Learn more about the scholarship below.
The PFLAG Norman Scholarship is a $1,000 scholarship presented to an outstanding Norman resident who is either LGBTQ, or is a straight ally and would like to help move equality forward. The goal of the applicant should be to attend a post-secondary educational institution/accredited facility.
Who is eligible for the scholarship?
Any current resident of Norman, who is attending a post-secondary institution is eligible if the below qualifications are met:
- Plans to continue his or her education/training beyond high school in any institution of higher education or other educational institution/accredited facility within 12 months of graduation upon admittance/acceptance or continue education/training in an accredited post-secondary program.
- Promotes inclusion and supports people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
- Does not include graduate programs.
- Past recipients of this scholarship are not eligible.
What criteria are used in reviewing/judging/selection of recipient?
Criteria for selection will include academic record, leadership qualities and experience, essay content quality, and letters of recommendation. Only complete application forms will be considered. Letters of recommendation must include one (1) academic endorsement (e.g. high school teachers, counselors, college professor, advisor, etc.) and one (1) from a community sponsor (e.g. pastor, GSA sponsors, 4-H leader, volunteer coordinator, community service sponsor, club/organization leader, employer). Letters of recommendation from family members will not be accepted.
How will the recipient be selected?
The scholarship recipient will be selected by a committee comprised of PFLAG Norman board members and community members. Decisions will be based on information provided in the application.
What is the deadline for submitting an application?
The complete application form (all personal information, reference letters, transcript(s), and essay) must be mailed to PFLAG Norman Scholarship Committee, P. O. Box 721692, Norman, OK 73070 or emailed to email@example.com. Electronic submission is encouraged. Complete packets must be received by 11:59 pm, Friday, March 31, 2017.
What comprises a “complete” application?
The applicant must include the following, in order for the application to be considered.
- Completed and signed application form
- Official high school transcript and most recent college transcript (when applicable)
- Two letters of recommendation – (see “criteria” section above for more information)
Download the Application
The PFLAG Scholarship Application 2018 may be downloaded here.